Starting your day with a breakfast that’s both healthy and delicious doesn’t mean you have to spend an hour in the kitchen. A smoothie combines fruit, veggies and immune-boosting yogurt to jump start your day on the right foot and power through whatever’s on your morning agenda (corporate conference call, we’re looking at you!).
Fiber, protein and healthy fats in a morning smoothie keep you feeling full and energized till lunchtime, while phytonutrients keep you young and healthy by fighting oxidative stress. Plus, a smoothie is 100% healthier than a fast-food breakfast!
The Formula: Pick One From Each Category
- Fruit (1/3 cup): fresh or frozen berries, apple, banana avocado, pineapple or mango
- Vegetables (1 cup): spinach or kale, collard greens, cucumber, celery, rhubarb
- 1/4 cup of nuts or seeds of your choice (peanuts or hemp/flax/chia seeds)
- 2 tbsp. nut or seed butter (almond butter, sunflower seed butter)
- 1 scoop of protein powder (from whey, rice or hemp)
- 1/4 cup of plain organic yogurt or cultured coconut milk (yogurt consistency)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut water
- Nut milk (such as almond, hazelnut, flaxseed or hempseed, or organic soy)
- 1/3 cup (optional)
Combine your selected ingredients in a blender and blend to the desired consistency. Drink and enjoy, or pop in the fridge to take with you in the morning.
Not up for building you own? Try this made-for-mornings recipe:
- 2 stalks kale
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/3 cup frozen berry mix
- 2 tbsp. almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed booster
Blend and enjoy!
Experiment and see what flavors and ingredients you like best. Keep it simple and handy for a healthy breakfast or filling snack.
More smoothies we love